South Island Tour
- We take you along what might just be the best piece of single track for mountain biking in New Zealand…
- High Country riding in the heart of the South Island
- An all-day ride from sea level up to 1000m followed by a 1000m descent
- A tricky technical native bush ride descent with access to the top via helicopter (weather and minimum numbers permitting)
- A shuttle assisted ride on a prime piece of single track in Queenstown.
We take in the best the South Island has to offer from Nelson in the north through to Queenstown in the south. Big South Island high country riding up around 2000 metres, visits to old gold mining towns with 22 creek crossings each way, a great ride on a hot day. Skinny single track clinging to the side of a 60° scree slope, big rides high in the mountains with wide open spaces and huge river valleys.
A two or three day ride starting and finishing with a water taxi, a full day ride up into the mountains past “Windy Point” and “Coppermine Saddle” before a very long downhill loosing 1000 metres back into the heart of town. Wild West Coast mountain biking adventure riding on gnarly single track with the option to fly you and your bike to the top by helicopter so that the legs and the mind are fresh to take on the down-hill challenges. And options on smaller MTB rides depending on how the legs feel… then of course there is always the gondola in Queenstown.
We don’t want to run your legs off and so this trip has tours that cover 35km a day over 2 days through to shorter 2 hour rides covering as little as 10km, there are options to pass a ride and take a rest; we will vary the riding depending on the group’s requirements. We also do sightseeing along the way, showcasing some of the amazing scenery New Zealand has to offer and making sure there is time to sample some local produce or perhaps something a little more exiting… we won’t be far from jet boats or big bungee jumps!
Use the zoom buttons on the map for a close-up of the tour path.
Tour duration: 14 days
Tour Guides along all trails
Comfortable transport in luxury mini-bus
13 nights’ accommodation in comfortable motels or lodges
All breakfasts and packed lunches
Secure bike and luggage trailer transport
Shuttle transport on point to point rides from trail head to trail finish
Helicopter-biking trip (minimum numbers required and subject to weather conditions)
All land access fees
- Bike Hire, biking gear (helmet, gloves) these can be arranged if required
- Evening meals (we set you free to go and explore, with recommendations if needed)
- Additional excursions during travel or rest days
- Trail-side snacks and drink mixes.
- Cost: $5995.00 NZD per person
- Tour Type: Guided MTB Adventure Tour
- Support Level: Tour Guides and Support Vehicle for 14 days
- Start: Christchurch
- Finish: Christchurch (Alternative finish point by arrangement)
- Ride Types: short trails of 5-10km giving 1-2 hours of riding through to 40-50km trails with 5-6 hours of ride time (including breaks)
- Grading: From trails with a mix of grade 2 easy, grade 3 intermediate through to grade 4, advanced with a few sections where it is safer to walk. NZ track grading information here
- Travel/Rest days: 2 days when you can take it easy while we whisk you to the next location, do some shopping or take on another activity.
- Meals: 13 Breakfasts, 14 packed lunches and perhaps a celebratory beer in the evening…
- Accommodation: 11 nights in comfortable motels, 2 nights in Alpine lodge. Shared facilities, single supplement option available.
- Single Supplement, add: $950.00 NZD
- Bike Hire 14 days: Hard Tail $560 NZD. Full Suspension $980 NZD ($70 per day)
- Pricing: all pricing shown is in New Zealand Dollars (NZD) and includes 15% local tax (GST) where applicable.
- A minimum of 4 people required for this tour to go ahead
- We don’t want to run your legs off and so this trip has tours that cover 40km during a day ride through to shorter 2 hour rides covering as little as 10km, there are options to pass a ride and take a rest; we will vary the riding depending on the group’s requirements. We also do sightseeing along the way, showcasing some of the amazing scenery New Zealand has to offer and making sure there is time for a dip in some natural hot pools… wine or beer ‘sampling’ in Marlborough or perhaps something a little more exiting... Bungy jumping or Jet Boating in Queenstown.
- Please contact us for tour dates not listed.
Upcoming Tour Dates
Tour commencing 1st January 2021
- Start date: Friday 1st January 2021
- Finish date: Friday 1st January 2021
- Places still available: 0
- Notes: RMBA have 'shut up shop' and closed our doors. Covid19 was the nail in the coffin!
Book this tour